How To Protect Yourself
You can protect yourself from this virus in the same ways we protect against the common cold or seasonal flu.
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds. (Tip: Sing the Happy Birthday song two times).
- Wash before eating, after using the bathroom, after you have blown your nose, coughed or sneezed.
- Wash after exposure to public surfaces such as door handles or shopping carts
- Use hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, and throw used tissues in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear a face mask, if you are sick or are caring for someone who is sick.
- Put some distance between yourself and others, especially if:
- Someone near you is sick
- You are at a higher risk of serious illness
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.(e.g.,tables, countertops, light switches, and door knobs).